Friday, July 18, 2014

The Great Namaste

Dubbed "The Great Namaste," this year the World Domination Summit's Guinness world record attempt included 808 people doing 5 different simple yoga poses (that became not so simple when held for 15 minutes each in 100 degree weather), done in a yoga chain... meaning we could not break pose and we needed to employ a domino effect when switching poses.
Tapes need to be watched, information by lawyers needs to be verified, but it WAS the world's longest yoga chain to date. For a $15 fee we received the fun of being involved, a free special edition yoga mat, free samples of coffee, juice, coconut water, granola bars etc. while waiting in line.
I'm not a yogi. And I definitely don't look like one.
But I felt like one for a few hours. I was able to fight through my body and mind being woefully uncomfortable. I use the word "fight" because I was not the calm person I can be while sitting on a comfortable yoga cushion in an air conditioned meditation class. This is not the person my ego believes can "handle" meditation. I had to fight. My sweaty, frustrated, annoyed, uncomfortable introverted self spent hours waiting, moving, holding and following, in order to be a part of something new. I knew I would be out of my comfort zone but I did it anyway.
I wasn't the only one struggling with the heat however, not everyone was struggling physically. Some were struggling with other issues. I heard scoffs when the poses were announced by those who can do difficult poses. I'm hopeful that by the end, most of those people realized the mental challenge of yoga is an extraordinary journey.  There were plenty of photos taken of amazing yoga poses and beautiful people. They had their moment. I took a few myself! I also saw some people you wouldn't expect to see there... killin' it. I felt hundreds of people with smiles on their faces because they were IN it. IN the moment and thinking of nothing else except how simultaneously uncomfortable and exciting this event felt.
Isn't that all we can ever want from an experience? And isn't that a basic tenet of meditation and yoga?
Photo Copyright 2014 Armosa Studios
#thegreatnamaste #wds2014

No comments:

Post a Comment