Monday, July 7, 2014

3 things I learned volunteering at the LA Film Festival


#1 Be a noob. Nothing happens without others in the entertainment industry. It is the most truly collaborative art there is. So there it is: Be new. Don't try to tell people what you know. Exercise your beginner's mind and actively listen. When people tell you things you already know or instructions that are obvious, just listen, with new ears, and see what comes your way. I'm not new but I didn't initiate any conversation about it. I employed a speak when spoken to mentality. No one asked me why I was there so I was able to simply be there... taking tickets, directing people, walking people to unfamiliar places and answering questions. Be new. Be of service. It is liberating.


#2 The general public still yells indiscriminately when they feel betrayed. 20 years ago I worked with the general public a lot. If people complained they wanted to speak with me. As a manager, I had the power to help when they were yelling. If I could solve their problem easily, then I did. I'm no saint, but my intention was to help them so they could change from crappy to grateful.

If you have a complaint,  venting... at what you can plainly see is a volunteer (blasted across our t-shirts), is not effective. Helps release your tension? Yes. Yelling at an audience that you sense can't yell back? Super sadistic. Solve your problem? No. Not even a little. Volunteers aren't in charge of anything that can help you beyond directions and info and a smile. Trying to Help You. Shut up and buy some popcorn to calm yourself down.


#3 The Films... were quality cinema. AND indies are alive. AND they are still character and emotion driven. Hip hip hooray. Norway's 1,000 Times Good Night with Juliette Binoche and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was inspiring and heart-breakingly true to character. Ireland's Frank, which already has distribution, was a funny and poignant take on mental illness, music and chosen family. Denmark's Someone You Love was quiet, subtle and full of appropriate pathos. You have to search out these kinds of movies but I believe it is worth it. The best part of the adventure to LAFF was I remembered that I took those acting classes when I was 12 years old and I won those poetry prizes around the same time and THAT's where my creative soul is rooted. Back when I was a noob. Remind yourself. Repeatedly. There is still innocence, character and emotion within you, no matter your age or experience.


***Below are a couple pictures from a food truck I'd like to recommend. Fantastic burger made by beautiful women working the grill. They have healthy choices too but damn if that burger wasn't delicious.

Baby's Badass Burgers 




Photo Copyright 2014 Shannon Calder

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of being a noob. We do tend to be so focused on what we do know (and imparting that to others whether they want to hear it or not) that we do forget to listen and learn. Will be practicing that this week.

    So glad this experience took you back to your creative soul. Looking forward to some poetry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to practice every day. I am unsuccessful about half the time. Thanks for reading Lisa!

    ReplyDelete